One more thing to "work" on ....
This past Friday night I had the opportunity to go out with some of my girl friends. A movie and dinner; it was a good time. When I was driving home I turned the radio to SOS to listen to Chuck Swindoll. I enjoy his talks and find his voice soothing as I drive.
His topic was about the non-negotiable principals for family living. I think it was titled " Untying the Knot in the Families Airhose" from Deut. Chapter 6. (you can click on his name to connect to the link to listen to the whole thing.
Eleven and a half minutes into the talk he really caught my attention. He was talking about listening and HEARING. I felt an instant conviction. Listening is a great struggle for me. I use to pride myself on being a good listener, but being prideful is one more thing I needed to work on (haaha, that was sort of a joke). I will share this list with you in case you don't have time to listen to his speech... be careful, you too might feel a little convicted :)
"1. If I'm thinking about an answer while others are talking - I'm not listening.
2. When I give unsolicited advice - I'm not listening
(unsolicited advice always sounds like criticism)
3. When I suggest that they shouldn't feel that way - I'm not listening
4. When I apply a quick fix to the problem - I'm not listening
5. When I fail to acknowledge the feelings of the speaker - I'm not listening
6. When I fidget, glance at my watch and appear to be rushed - I'm not listening
7. When I fail to maintain eye contact - I'm not listening
8. When I don't ask follow-up questions - I'm not listening
9. When I'm alone with the person speaking and I try to top his story with a bigger and better story of my own - I'm not listening
10. When that person shares a difficult experience and I counter with one of my own - I'm not listening. "
So here I am... ready to apologize to all of you that I failed to listen to. Just know, this is ONE MORE THING TO WORK ON.
I think I am guilty of one thru ten, especially with my kids. I will try harder starting tomorrow - good night.
His topic was about the non-negotiable principals for family living. I think it was titled " Untying the Knot in the Families Airhose" from Deut. Chapter 6. (you can click on his name to connect to the link to listen to the whole thing.
Eleven and a half minutes into the talk he really caught my attention. He was talking about listening and HEARING. I felt an instant conviction. Listening is a great struggle for me. I use to pride myself on being a good listener, but being prideful is one more thing I needed to work on (haaha, that was sort of a joke). I will share this list with you in case you don't have time to listen to his speech... be careful, you too might feel a little convicted :)
"1. If I'm thinking about an answer while others are talking - I'm not listening.
2. When I give unsolicited advice - I'm not listening
(unsolicited advice always sounds like criticism)
3. When I suggest that they shouldn't feel that way - I'm not listening
4. When I apply a quick fix to the problem - I'm not listening
5. When I fail to acknowledge the feelings of the speaker - I'm not listening
6. When I fidget, glance at my watch and appear to be rushed - I'm not listening
7. When I fail to maintain eye contact - I'm not listening
8. When I don't ask follow-up questions - I'm not listening
9. When I'm alone with the person speaking and I try to top his story with a bigger and better story of my own - I'm not listening
10. When that person shares a difficult experience and I counter with one of my own - I'm not listening. "
So here I am... ready to apologize to all of you that I failed to listen to. Just know, this is ONE MORE THING TO WORK ON.
I think I am guilty of one thru ten, especially with my kids. I will try harder starting tomorrow - good night.
Comments