"Did God call you to go?"
Over and over I say these words to my kids, "you don't need to worry about it; just be a kid while you can; Mommy will take care of it". We are learning that one of the draw backs of teaching our kids to be responsible and independent is that they don't know where to draw the line of responsibility. They sometimes feel like they need to bare adult sized burdens that are not designed for their little spirits. I take full credit for this miscommunication and I am doing everything I can to remedy it. We've struggle with some high emotions this school year with our little K. She is a sweet little thing that has developed some signs of perfectionism. Well, this mama bear wants to nip that in the bud and FAST! I had it too for a short stint when I was in grade school and clearly I've overcome it {{chuckle}}.
Unexpectedly, I went away to my hometown to attend the funeral of my sister in law. I wasn't sure how this was going to affect sis since she was right at an apex of her emotions. When I presented the idea to her she surprised us. Her first question was, "did God call you to go?” What a big question. I paused briefly and said that I felt a nudge and thought it was the right thing to do. I further explained that it was what family does and since my brother just lost his wife I would like to support him if I could. Just like she loves her brother, I too love my brother unconditionally. She clearly understood and said (and I'm not making this up) "don't not go because of me". Let me remind you that she's seven. I don't think I thought or talked like that when I was seven, not even close.
I'm not telling you this story for a pat on the parenting back, a good job K, or a ooh she's so mature; I'm telling you this story because I want you to know that I don't know what I'm doing sometimes with these kids. Yet, I feel like the foundation is being laid for an unselfish thinker and it's not because of anything that I have driven home. It's God working in her life. It's all those prayers being honored. It's Him teaching me through her.
She had a tear-free weekend while I was away. I'm not upset that she did better without me, because I am just so grateful that she is healing. I'm grateful that she can be brave when she wants to be and I'm grateful that she knows that it's something the He called her to do.
I also want to clarify that I'm not trying to take the focus off of the fact that we lost another family member. I am very aware that it's not about my daughter, my flustered state of parenting or anything other than what is right in front of us. I know that the past few days have been about the shock of losing someone and the long process that will need to be dredged through to get to the place of healing for my brother and his girls. I would never want to belittle that fact. I just thought it would be nice to share how God uses BIG things to show His face in the small places too. Also, how the teaching moments are in abundance even for this mama with the reminder from her child to ask herself "did God call you to go?".
Unexpectedly, I went away to my hometown to attend the funeral of my sister in law. I wasn't sure how this was going to affect sis since she was right at an apex of her emotions. When I presented the idea to her she surprised us. Her first question was, "did God call you to go?” What a big question. I paused briefly and said that I felt a nudge and thought it was the right thing to do. I further explained that it was what family does and since my brother just lost his wife I would like to support him if I could. Just like she loves her brother, I too love my brother unconditionally. She clearly understood and said (and I'm not making this up) "don't not go because of me". Let me remind you that she's seven. I don't think I thought or talked like that when I was seven, not even close.
I'm not telling you this story for a pat on the parenting back, a good job K, or a ooh she's so mature; I'm telling you this story because I want you to know that I don't know what I'm doing sometimes with these kids. Yet, I feel like the foundation is being laid for an unselfish thinker and it's not because of anything that I have driven home. It's God working in her life. It's all those prayers being honored. It's Him teaching me through her.
She had a tear-free weekend while I was away. I'm not upset that she did better without me, because I am just so grateful that she is healing. I'm grateful that she can be brave when she wants to be and I'm grateful that she knows that it's something the He called her to do.
I also want to clarify that I'm not trying to take the focus off of the fact that we lost another family member. I am very aware that it's not about my daughter, my flustered state of parenting or anything other than what is right in front of us. I know that the past few days have been about the shock of losing someone and the long process that will need to be dredged through to get to the place of healing for my brother and his girls. I would never want to belittle that fact. I just thought it would be nice to share how God uses BIG things to show His face in the small places too. Also, how the teaching moments are in abundance even for this mama with the reminder from her child to ask herself "did God call you to go?".
Comments