Faith Like A Child
I often ask myself "how old was I when I lost my child-like faith? When did I start judging myself so harshly that I put a road block up that stopped me from just giving into my greatest instinct to bend a knee in public?"
Truth be told, even in the darkest parts of my life, when I was furthest from God, I never stopped praying. The prayers were there, but silent and private. The faith part was shady at times, but I've never regained the intensity I had as a child. God calls us to retain that child-like faith for a lifetime. The greatest reminders to obey this is through our own children. I see it everyday, mostly in the little things. Sometimes I shrug it off as if it isn't significant, but then I'm quickly humbled by how silly I've been. It's not the children that have made a mistake, but it's my mistake to own. Here is a small example.
When K first told me that she prayed to Jesus so she could catch a fish, I sort of laughed and thought it was cute. I retold the story to a friend that was fishing with us. My friend said "that's a good idea, we should have thought of that yesterday" (in hind sight since no fish where caught the previous day).
I didn't think twice about it until moments later when my little seven year old girl, with her Disney toy fishing pole in hand, caught her very first fish. My friend reminded me that she was the only one who prayed and the only one who caught a fish that day. (too bad I'm not a preacher...there are like eight sermon topics and analogies floating around in this true story).
My sweet faithful child has taught me a lesson once more. Even if it seems small, take it to the foot of the cross. If it is His will, He wants to give it to you. It never hurts to ask through prayer.
you have to look close, but that little fishy is there...a dangling answer to prayer
Truth be told, even in the darkest parts of my life, when I was furthest from God, I never stopped praying. The prayers were there, but silent and private. The faith part was shady at times, but I've never regained the intensity I had as a child. God calls us to retain that child-like faith for a lifetime. The greatest reminders to obey this is through our own children. I see it everyday, mostly in the little things. Sometimes I shrug it off as if it isn't significant, but then I'm quickly humbled by how silly I've been. It's not the children that have made a mistake, but it's my mistake to own. Here is a small example.
When K first told me that she prayed to Jesus so she could catch a fish, I sort of laughed and thought it was cute. I retold the story to a friend that was fishing with us. My friend said "that's a good idea, we should have thought of that yesterday" (in hind sight since no fish where caught the previous day).
I didn't think twice about it until moments later when my little seven year old girl, with her Disney toy fishing pole in hand, caught her very first fish. My friend reminded me that she was the only one who prayed and the only one who caught a fish that day. (too bad I'm not a preacher...there are like eight sermon topics and analogies floating around in this true story).
My sweet faithful child has taught me a lesson once more. Even if it seems small, take it to the foot of the cross. If it is His will, He wants to give it to you. It never hurts to ask through prayer.
you have to look close, but that little fishy is there...a dangling answer to prayer
Comments
I can remember the first time we took Wyatt fishing. We were with my brother, and he prayed that Wyatt would catch a fish. And then he did....hey, there's something to this praying business...lol :)
Good job K-ster--with the praying AND catching the fish. Do you know what kind it was?
**(content changed)
Yes, Grandma, it was a blue gill :)
7/20/2009