Lego Mania And A Work In Progress
After G's birthday celebration he spent the evening putting together his five (I know, can you believe it?) Lego sets that he received as gifts. The neat part about sets these days is that they are a 3 in 1 (or any other configuration they can come up with) meaning that the box contains enough pieces to make 3 different designs. So you don't just get a beach house, but you also can make a coffee house or a three story home too - cool!
I've been doing some goofy things lately... (I'm not even going to talk about how I forgot my own sons 10th birthday or how I put the wrong guard on the razor and ruined my kids hair - nope, not going to talk about those) and my son seems to be the target of my actions (not intentionally of course). Anyway, I was walking through the play room, not paying attention, and I accidentally kicked his freshly assembled Lego house over.... not completely destroying it, but it was a mess. I felt bad, but he was cool about it and said it was OK. He said that he liked having an excuse to rebuild. As if this opened a door for him to play longer. That was a good attitude.
It made me think. How do I react when I've been working on something for a long time, just to have it destroyed? Am I collected or do I freak?
I know our Savior experiences that with us. We are a piece of work (haahaa) a master piece if you will. A work in progress. Things come along and undo all that He as fixed in our lives and He doesn't freak out. He just calmly picks up the pieces and reconstructs us and makes us whole again. We might not look like our original blue print, but we are workable.
I'm not always proud of the choices I've made in my life or the reactions I've displayed, but I know God is still working on me. Even if I mess it up along the way, he will reconstruct me to be useful for His kingdom... no wigging out, no shouting, just loving me for who I am. So, this work in progress is going to continue knowing that I'm blemished, but loved. Even though I am not the person I started out to be, I still have value through all my reconstruction.
Thanks for making me think son, thanks for keeping me on my toes, thanks for letting me still play Legos with you.... and I promise to take you to a barber next time :)
Comments