I've been gone, I'm back and this is my story....

The night that I was posting "A Long Fun Weekend" I received a phone call from my brother in Michigan around midnight. I was totally wake because I was still pretty pumped up from the Holiday Christmas party and blogging. I was happy to hear from him, but slightly freaked out because I knew it was 3 am his time and either something had to be wrong or something had to be so wonderful that he couldn't wait to tell me. It was option A: Dad had fallen and was non-responsive and in the ER. After some tests they found that he did not have a stroke as suspected, but in fact had brain tumors that are causing seizures (Todd's Syndrome). My sister has been updating his blog if you would like the full story. CLICK HERE

My little family of four was scheduled to fly out for an early December trip (because hubby had a nudge and didn't know why - what a blessing that was) so JJ changed just my ticket to arrive a few days early and he would bring the kids as scheduled on the weekend. Dad was in the hospital for a total of 8 days during the beginning of his full brain radiation and his personality was greatly altered. He improved each day.... there were obvious changes and it was encouraging to see the positive changes at each visit.

All seven of Mom and Dad's kids showed up.... some driving through snow and all night long to get there. Most taking days off of work and doing what ever they could to support dad. It warms my heart now just thinking about how the family came together and loved on each other when it was needed the most. Laughed when it felt right... as a way of healing for each of us and mostly for Mom. So many big and small things were done, unspoken, just done because they were not required to... but wanted to. Planning meals, shoveling snow, airport shuttle, over night stays in the hospital, extra kid duty and a hundred things in between.... it was all helpful. I have a very thoughtful family and I am very proud of all of them.

In the next few days I will post some of the fun events that we experienced on our trip because that is what I have pictures of.... (I guess I don't take very many pictures of the hard parts).... So know that we were thankful to see Dad, we are grateful for his improvements.... we will cherish our time with our family and support them however we can. And though we are back home, our hearts remain in Michigan with my parents as they plow through this road ahead. We are on bended knee daily... we weep at the drop of a hat, but we know that our God is BIG and he has a plan that we can not see. This is our comfort, knowing His hand is in all of this and we can rest.

Comments

Lindsey's Mom said…
What a beautiful summary . . . I too feel very blessed to be in a family that pulls together. I feel the hand of God on our family during this time. I know God has a purpose in this and I don't want to miss his purpose. Bless you Sis - Your family helped SOOO much in preparing the house for Dad's homecoming and with getting him to radiation treatments. I am thankful for you and your wonderful husband. Bless you all.
Emily said…
This is my 3rd try to comment. Each time I've read this I start crying and have to click off of it.
So, this time I didn't read it.
I just wanted to let you know that you've been on my heart!
I'm so glad that everyone was there and got to be with him and also got to see him come home from the hospital. What a miracle from the start of this.

Popular Posts