I'm pretty sure it is PMMS (UPDATED)

"Please Mother Me Syndrome"...Since Monday when both kids headed off to school I've noticed something about myself, I'm sure G and K have noticed it too. In the morning when they are getting ready for school I feel irritated. In the afternoon when they return I feel irritated. I even prayed about it hoping this would calm my nerves and I would be the cheerful mama I wish I could be ALL the time (not possible, but it's a nice pipe dream).

This is my self analysis... I'm not a morning person, so that is one strike against me and I'm a little mad that I'm not going to see them for the next six hours. When they get home, it has been silent in the house all day... I mean you CAN hear a pin drop it's that quiet (I think I need to start listening to music or something) and I've missed my kiddos. They get home and everyone is asking me questions at once and they are super hyper because they are so excited about all the new stuff they've learned and I'm STILL mad that they have been gone for six hours.

I need to get over myself and just be "cheerful mama", but for now I'm just blaming it on PMMS.

UPDATED: So, it's Thursday morning now and I sat the kids down before school and I admitted to them what I realized I was doing. Sure enough, they noticed too! I told them that any excuse that I have for not being the mommy that I want to be is always a poor one. I assured them that I would keep praying about it and now that I'm aware "things will change for the better". I could see the tension fall off G, I mean physically fall off of him. He's such a peace maker and I could tell I was stressing him out.

They have transitioned so well, it's about time I do. This morning went better. I consciously said one encouraging thing before I barked a correction. Well, in fact, I didn't even bark... I made an effort to have a more loving tone and there were more smiles all around.

This is so weird because usually I'm quite pleasant with my kids... it shouldn't be so effort- FULL. Anyway, we "hugged it out" and life should be sweeter at our house this afternoon.

Comments

Emily said…
Awe what a sweet post.
Truly
Thanks for sharing.

Popular Posts